Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Back to inspiration

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but my husband and I watch a movie on occasion. We saw one recently that had such a great lesson to it. It's called "About Time". It's about this boy who turned 21 and his father revealed to him that the men in his family have always been able to go back in time. They step into a closet, think about when they want to go to, clench their fists and they're there.
Towards the end, the father gets cancer and is going to die. He talks to his son and asks him if he wants to know what the father has figured out about happiness in life, or would he like to figure it out himself. The son says to tell him, to help him get there faster (son is married with 2 kids by then). The father teaches him to live each day twice. The first day you actually live it and then you go back and relive it a second time, but the second time, you notice more. Since you already lived it, you know what's going to happen, so now he can relive it and touch it up.
The son does this for awhile and by the end he says he took the happiness thing a step further. Now he only lives each day once, - AS IF it's his 2nd time around.
This is an awesome way to live. If you watch him repeat his day over, you can see how he enhances his day by letsay letting his wife sleep in, while he gets up with the kids, he smiles more at everyone, hugs people and tells them he loves them... all those things we would love to do - but just get caught up in life too much and forget to.
When I woke up today, I thought - imagine this was my 2nd time reliving this day and I got to fix up the small things, what would I do? I wouldn't have poured my daughter her cereal, so I could've warded off the tantrum she had after that. I wouldn't have brought up the topic of school with my son, maybe his morning would've been smoother. I would've driven the kids to school instead of walked, to avoid the kvetches, the freezing cold weather and the crying baby. I would've relaxed about when to put Penina down for a nap and not wondered all morning if she was tired or not. I would've called my friend 2 minutes earlier so as not to have missed her phonecall while putting Penina down. There's so much I could fix up if I got to repeat today. It's interesting to try to live today as if it's the second time around - think about it!


One more inspirational thought. This week I've been thinking about the line "MAKE it a great". Instead of sitting around and waiting for the good moments in life to come around - make them all great! I was about to make lunches for the next day, and I hate doing that - then I saw my reminder - MAKE it a good one. So I turned on my favorite speaker and suddenly making lunches wasn't so bad! When Menucha was grumbling about her math homework and annoyed that she had one more page to go - I taught her - let's not wait for more fun homework, let's make this one fun! And it worked.. That's such a strong concept (thank you Seminary Girl) to make things great, instead of waiting around for the good parts of life.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! A mutual friend forwarded your blog over to me and love this post. I just wanted to mention though that in another post, you do give a lot of personal information about your kids, including their full names and ages- wouldn't it maybe be safer to leave some of that info out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog is supposed to be private -- personal friends only, they already know my kids and their ages...

    ReplyDelete