A friend of mine’s student asked her why any woman would
want to slave away in the kitchen and cook for her family as much as we do.
So last week, I sat down and wrote an article about the
woman that I strive to be. The kind of woman that lives to cook all these Yom
Tov meals and not only lives it but loves it. The woman who would rather be taking
care of her children than be anywhere else. The people who I let read it,
really enjoyed it and then thought I was that amazing woman.
Unfortunately, I am not there yet. I did not post it on my
blog for fear of sounding too unrelatable. Cooking all these Yom Tov meals
definitely is hard. The key is to really try to enjoy it. Tonight, Motzei
Shabbos, when were are almost finished and are standing at the edge, just
before the last round of Yomim Tovim (holidays), I realized that I am actually
sad to see them go. A part of me wants to have the kids go back to normal school
routines and have the house look more presentable and the laundry baskets empty
once again (if they ever are), but another part of me does not want to let go.
There’s so much family time and so much deeper thinking time and so much
holiness in the air and connection to Hashem time and plus, Hoshana Raba is
that last chance to do Teshuva. Doesn’t that give the rest of the year a dismal
feeling to it? Think about it. Think about Yom Tov and all the family
togetherness, sharing meals over and over (and over and over!), going to shul
and seeing everyone dressed up and going shopping yet again and sharing sighs
with the next frum person over about food shopping for the millionth time… and
then think about winter. School. Heat. Work. Regularness. See?
When someone told me to post that article about that
wonderful person on my blog, I said, I’m not going to post it because I have
not reached that level yet. However, together – it would be nice for us to
discuss HOW we can reach that level together. To actually ENJOY our time with
our family around without yearning for that ALONE time all the time. So let’s
discuss….
I agree!! I also feel sad to see this time of year wrap up. As hectic as it is, Yom tov is always nice. Even when it's crazy.
ReplyDelete