Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Time

Let me tell you a little bit about time:

We are not in control of it at all.

I have two opposite stories that happened to me recently that taught me this simple idea.

As the Gallor family seder was going on and didn't look like there was going to be an end anytime that night, I panicked. I thought, "How am I going to be able to survive on so few hours/minutes of sleep? Penina will wake me up the moment I go down and then it's only an hour or two until she's up for the day." So, I flew ahead on my own, at 2am, when they were only up to "Dayainu".
Zooms in Hashem to teach me a lesson. I only got about 2 hours of sleep. Penina chose that night to wake up about once an hour. Normally as a sleep-trainer in training, I'd just let her cry. However, I was in a room with my entire family and couldn't bear to let make a peep, as the other kids had gone to sleep at a very late hour too and I didn't want her waking them up. I was upstairs playing with her at 5am, after having hardly slept.
Shaul had come into bed at 4:30 (I waved calmly while still awake) and slept til about 9.
Lesson learned: When you make the effort to do something important, Hashem will help. I wouldn't have gotten any more sleep, if I had stayed up for the entire seder like the grown-ups are supposed to!

Second opposite story:
Moshe Leib's carpool can come anytime between 8am and 9am. Yesterday Penina was showing signs of tiredness from about 8:15. I kept thinking his ride was coming any minute, so I held her off. I didn't want to get stuck nursing upstairs, unable to hear the door. I took the two kids outside, and waited and waited. My frustration was growing, as Penina was sucking on my shirt looking on the verge of falling asleep. I also had a HUGE list that I needed to get to, as it was the first school day after over a week of no school (Pesach). We waited and waited. I practiced my meditation of C.A.T. It stands for Calm. Accept. Trust. and I worked on accepting G-d's will of Lateness.

Turns out - Penina took the best nap in a long time of 1.5 hours! Usually she takes a 30-40 minute morning nap, but I guess that extra 45 minutes of waiting, caused her to be extra tired and I was able to get so much more done than I could've imagined.

As I said, time is just completely not under our control, as much as we think we know what's going on.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Amazing how you are able to recognize how its all in hashems hands. Something that's hard to remember at the moment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Amazing how you are able to recognize how its all in hashems hands. Something that's hard to remember at the moment....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing! I would have had a panic attack.

    ReplyDelete